HomeCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Buddha Chat

Share | 
 

 What if there is really an explanation?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Winglee
Moderator
avatar

Female Number of posts : 44
Age : 26
Location : Hong Kong
Job/hobbies : Movies and Philosophy!
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: What if there is really an explanation?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:18 am

Hi everyony,
I am Wing from Hong Kong China. I got addicted to philosophy because i take seeking the meaning of life as everything. I used to think it as the purpose of my life. Well, its still true for me now, but in a different way.

We are all seeking the meaning of life i suppose. Sciencetist , philosopher are all searching for a higher meaning from the unknown. Yet, its still left unanswered.

But, what if it is answered? Just ignore the credibility, are you prepared to hear the possible answer? or would we like to know about it?

I used to believe in an explanation about this everything. Now, to me, the real answer cannot be told, and i d rather it not to be. cox whats next? whats the higher value are we striving for if it is already know? Then i started to think the answer may not be out there. Actually, the universe is inside us isnt it? We interpret things so we form a concept about everything, even the image of god. No one can actually fully understand ones' saying i believe. What we communicate is only another objective interpretation. so who can tell exactly the world they think it is to you? The world is probably very different in the way people think it is.

Religion may tells us the truth, but the truth is sill left for us to understand and comprehend. The universal truth only exists inside our own brain. So, why are we still asking the same question? Perhaps we already HAVE the answer!

i think i grow having deeper thoughts and also hope you guys can bring me more inspiration.

Very Happy


Last edited by Winglee on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:15 am




"The meaning of life is simply to find meaning in life."
- Lucas Campbell
Back to top Go down
Winglee
Moderator
avatar

Female Number of posts : 44
Age : 26
Location : Hong Kong
Job/hobbies : Movies and Philosophy!
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:54 pm

If we assume there is meaning in life(infinity), then it is our meaning of life. But what if there is no meaning in life(zero) :?:

Back to top Go down
The Philosopher
Admin
avatar

Male Number of posts : 320
Age : 73
Job/hobbies : Engineer
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:58 am


I think It's good question Winglee.....Sometimes we don't see a meaning in life...Our thoughts is main factor that affect our lives and another factor which is circumstances , that factor I see is very very Important to anyone life . It can turn it up down in any moment. I 'm very glad You share with us your thoughts Winglee cheers .......and as
Meone always says " Anything to get us closer to the truth."
lol!

_________________
.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Nietzche
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:12 am

If there is no meaning to life, then that does mean zero (0).
And what is zero but an unending loop?
Another way to say infinity, yes?



Okay, I was just trying to be clever.

If there is no meaning to life, we will never know.
For when we die, and there is no meaning,
then we will have no thoughts, nothing left of us
to be disappointed there was no point to all of this.
Back to top Go down
Winglee
Moderator
avatar

Female Number of posts : 44
Age : 26
Location : Hong Kong
Job/hobbies : Movies and Philosophy!
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:03 pm

that will be quite scary world to live, we better assume there is some meaning in life then. :)
Back to top Go down
Conatus
Active Member
avatar

Male Number of posts : 35
Age : 34
Location : sweden
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:21 pm

I would like a sharper definition of the word "meaning" here. Does this imply a "deeper" meaning, like faith or a certain quest that the universe has sent us, individuals or humanity as a whole? Or is the meaning interfoliated with nature, that is, that nature itself is "meaning" in this sense. I would reject any thought that the universe has a "meaning" outside our own interpretation of it, if "meaning" implies "order" i would prob state that the universe has a lot of meaning.
Back to top Go down
Winglee
Moderator
avatar

Female Number of posts : 44
Age : 26
Location : Hong Kong
Job/hobbies : Movies and Philosophy!
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:10 pm

But can we, as human beings and part of nature, really interpret the 'order' which composed the nature? or is nature itself is an uninterpretable thing, a master of the world which many people may see it as the god?

if nature itself is meaning and nature evolve against itself, dose it implies having meaning at the same time is equal to having no meaning?

and then i d say god is infinity and nature is zero in the sense of strivig meaning.

which may also mean god and nature are reciprocal, right?
Back to top Go down
Frankokiri
Member


Male Number of posts : 6
Age : 25
Location : Quebec
Job/hobbies : Writing
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:50 am

The meaning of life is Nul... even if there is a meaning we will never find it, never! Being satisfied with he fact that it is Nul (which ismuch vaster than anything anyone can imagine) I can continue living my life in the awkward way I do
Back to top Go down
Manos
Active Member
avatar

Male Number of posts : 11
Age : 49
Location : Athens - GREECE
Job/hobbies : air conditioning n ventilation ships repairing zone ( Pc power user , internet , soccer , MuSic )
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:35 pm

We can't find the meaning of a book for example if we don't read it,can we?
How can we find the very special meaning of life-(if there is one)-when for everyone of us life is an unfinished book?
But I don't really need to find this meaning cause i don't think that humanity needs one more God!
Back to top Go down
Gianna
Member
avatar

Female Number of posts : 3
Age : 37
Location : Lamia, Greece
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:15 am

First all, i believe in God. This is something that needs to be known..before i talk further.

All your posts remind me of a Greek poem of my favorite poet K.P. Kavafis.

(Mano esu 8a to xereis kai sta ellhnika fadazomai..)



"Candles"

The days of our future stand in front of us
like a row of little lit candles --
golden, warm, and lively little candles.

The days past remain behind us,
a mournful line of extinguished candles;
the ones nearest are still smoking,
cold candles, melted, and bent.

I do not want to look at them; their form saddens me,
and it saddens me to recall their first light.
I look ahead at my lit candles.

I do not want to turn back, lest I see and shudder
at how fast the dark line lengthens,
at how fast the extinguished candles multiply.

Constantine P. Cavafy (1899)


Well here is the meaning of life on Earth and as we know it so far:

To live it for as long as it lasts and when the end comes, i want to look behind, at my "cold candles" without sorrow or fear! Cause i will have done all i ve dreamed and die happy :) I won't have wasted the life on Earth... Of course i dont mean to become a nihilist!!!!

That's my point of view and if someone has a different opinion i'd like to hear it!! :)

Love Gianna
Back to top Go down
Manos
Active Member
avatar

Male Number of posts : 11
Age : 49
Location : Athens - GREECE
Job/hobbies : air conditioning n ventilation ships repairing zone ( Pc power user , internet , soccer , MuSic )
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:35 pm

Hello Hellas,hello Lamia, hello Gianna.
I'm not planning 2 comfuse U I just want 2 play.! Remember this: I'm in this as a friend and i'll leave out as a friend.
a)- U believe in God- i think this is wrong Gianna without the (a) b2in (in)&(God). U believe in a God & everybody believes in a God (even the atheists).
b)- sorry Gianna but i don't know this poem and it's true that i don't remember something from Kavafis(i must go back to school ages 4 something about)
c)- I don't have a dfrnd opinion as 4 the what you R saying about life but i didn't see the other side. It is Ur life U are talking about but everybody is living another life , his own life . There is another life someware on earth that looks like a nightmare . Things are not so easy!
Be well .....
Back to top Go down
Dalinian
Moderator
avatar

Male Number of posts : 69
Age : 27
Location : SLC, Utah
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:51 pm

Indeed there is a "meaning" to life. The reason to why we are here. Why we have all this complexity, order, feelings, and life. Indeed there is design to all this. Indeed there is a Designer. Indeed He had a purpose for our existence.

Unfortunately I believe that something distracting, dangerous, and delirious has swept over many. Postmodernism. "Reading between the lines" is just a side dish.(though theres a fancy word for that method)

Ugh....distractions, distractions.
Back to top Go down
Winglee
Moderator
avatar

Female Number of posts : 44
Age : 26
Location : Hong Kong
Job/hobbies : Movies and Philosophy!
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:26 am

if there is no god, there will be no meaning of life.

distraction makes our belief more concrete.
Back to top Go down
Dalinian
Moderator
avatar

Male Number of posts : 69
Age : 27
Location : SLC, Utah
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:11 am

Winglee wrote:
if there is no god, there will be no meaning of life.

Indeed. Yet look at it this way for a moment. If all of this happened by mere chance, then there IS no reason to why we, and everything else exist. Though all of this didnt happen by chance, nor without an intention. We are all here for a reason. I love life, and I love the One who gave it to me. Like you had posted before. It would be a scary thought if there really was NO meaning or reason to life. We can make a subjective meaning ourselves, which would be VERY chaotic.

distraction makes our belief more concrete.

Certain ones can, but the majority diverts us away from the concrete. So its not always a good thing. Especially to a person with a heart of stone.
Back to top Go down
Dalinian
Moderator
avatar

Male Number of posts : 69
Age : 27
Location : SLC, Utah
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:27 am

Winglee wrote:
if there is no god, there will be no meaning of life.

Quote :
Indeed. Yet look at it this way for a moment. If all of this happened
by mere chance, then there IS no reason to why we, and everything else exist. Though all of this didnt happen by chance, nor without an
intention. We are all here for a reason. I love life, and I love the
One who gave it to me. Like you had posted before. It would be a scary thought if there really was NO meaning or reason to life. We can make a subjective meaning ourselves, which would be VERY chaotic.


Winglee wrote:
distraction makes our belief more concrete.

Quote :
Certain ones can, but the majority diverts us away from the concrete. So its not always a good thing. Especially to a person with a heart of stone.
Back to top Go down
Winglee
Moderator
avatar

Female Number of posts : 44
Age : 26
Location : Hong Kong
Job/hobbies : Movies and Philosophy!
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:34 am

[quote="Dalinian] If all of this happened by mere chance, then there IS no reason to why we, and everything else exist.[/quote]

wt if all are really happened by mere chance? just 'if'. do we have to exclude the possiblity by religion?
Back to top Go down
Dalinian
Moderator
avatar

Male Number of posts : 69
Age : 27
Location : SLC, Utah
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:20 am

Winglee wrote:
wt if all are really happened by mere chance? just 'if'. do we have to exclude the possiblity by religion?

not by religion, anyone can make any subjective decision on what THEIR meaning of life is....since "IF" there is no objective reason to why we exist. Hitlers meaning to life was to eliminate the lower race, the infestation. Luckily this didn happen by time and chance.
Back to top Go down
Chaza
Member


Male Number of posts : 3
Age : 47
Location : queensland
Registration date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:16 am

the answer i belive in why we are here to manifest GODS will as it is written in the bible . Then if its not gods will THEN WHOS IS IT ?
because that is exactly what is happening out there today

let the game between good and evil continue

we are all at the cross road and its time to pick whom we are playing for

let god be found true and Man to be liars
Back to top Go down
Dalinian
Moderator
avatar

Male Number of posts : 69
Age : 27
Location : SLC, Utah
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:56 pm

Chaza wrote:
the answer i belive in why we are here to manifest GODS will as it is written in the bible . Then if its not gods will THEN WHOS IS IT ?
because that is exactly what is happening out there today

let the game between good and evil continue

we are all at the cross road and its time to pick whom we are playing for

let god be found true and Man to be liars


* Indeed the question regarding "who" to follow, believe, and trust is important. Yet at this moment we are agreeing on an objective "source", regarding the "essence" of life, and the meaning to why we exist. What is the Creators intention? Though the question that must be answered before we can further continue with finding the meaning of life is....WHO is our Creator?

EXAMPLE: We read a book, fact or fiction. It has been clearly created by an author. Containing information and other contents with a purpose, and meaning in what the author has written. We must know what the author wanted to share and for us to know, in order for us to understand the story. You must learn how to divide, before you can divide an equation PROPERLY and in the CORRECT way, to get the INTENDED answer. It would be nonsense to proceed otherwise.

We must know what the Creator's intentions were so that we may understand our meaning, our purpose in life, which was planned by the Creator.

So....WHO is our Creator?
Back to top Go down
Icequeenz
Member


Female Number of posts : 4
Age : 37
Location : Indonesia
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:04 pm

Cheers to Manos Cheer

I think the true meaning of life will only be known when life itself is over. How can one find true and solid meaning of an ongoing process? One might just guess the purpose, goal or end destination as we all do now without any end. The destination will also change depending on our choices and desires, free will is the best gift that each human have. I believe that we are all here for a reason but that reason is in our hands to create. Ask not why but ask what can we do so if even 'we' happened just by chance, at least we've done something useful with our life.

And for me it doesn't matter who's our creator.. can anyone meet 'Him/Her' in their lifetime anyway to ask why, how, etc? Even if they do how can they be sure it's not just an illusion or a manipulation? Religions only gives us guidelines to be a good human being and for the record, I do believe in God Wink . I just can't and won't try to explain Him / Her coz I never know / meet Him/Her myself. This part is strictly for faith to me.

In the mean time I'm just enjoying the ride, learn as much as I can and live life for life itself Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dalinian
Moderator
avatar

Male Number of posts : 69
Age : 27
Location : SLC, Utah
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:01 pm

Icequeenz wrote:
Cheers to Manos Cheer

I think the true meaning of life will only be known when life itself is over. How can one find true and solid meaning of an ongoing process?

**i have found out that the whole purpose to why we are here is to live, experience, and magnify God's glory in ourselves. Every word, or deed should be in His name. As I stand breathing, alive and healthy I thank God for the gift of life. For He has the whole world in His hands, our King so holy.

One might just guess the purpose, goal or end destination as we all do now without any end. The destination will also change depending on our choices and desires, free will is the best gift that each human have. I believe that we are all here for a reason but that reason is in our hands to create. Ask not why but ask what can we do so if even 'we' happened just by chance, at least we've done something useful with our life.

**I can say with great joy, that THE GREATEST gift God has given us is His Son. Yet when you say that the greatest gift would be free will, i disagree with you to the extreme. Not only because its not the greatest gift, but because that is what got us to become who we are now...rebels against God. Relating to Adam and Eve who were deceived, it is STILL happening to us today. Believing in EVILution and creating idols and a god to fit our lives. No matter who, if the person believes in a god other than the true God, its because it makes them comfortable inside. Their god is okay with the way they live their life...FOR ITS JUST A FIGMENT OF THEIR IMAGINATION! Well, we were warned already, now its our 'free will' that lets us walk into the lake of fire.

And for me it doesn't matter who's our creator.. can anyone meet 'Him/Her' in their lifetime anyway to ask why, how, etc? Even if they do how can they be sure it's not just an illusion or a manipulation? Religions only gives us guidelines to be a good human being and for the record, I do believe in God Wink . I just can't and won't try to explain Him / Her coz I never know / meet Him/Her myself. This part is strictly for faith to me.


**indeed almost all religions give guidelines to be a 'good' person. But as it has been said, there is not ONE that does good, NO NOT ONE. Very true. Maybe one person compared to hitler would be considered a good person, but I tell you that they are not morally excellent. They are just like EVERYONE ELSE. Then again, its not all 'religions'.

Yet what if you come to the end of your life and you see that the outcome is negative. Something that you could of avoided your whole life but decided to make a belief of your own? That the truth was indeed out there for your to take, but didnt take it. Now the outcome is a dreadful place for a VERY long time. Now dont tell me that you wouldnt care.

In the mean time I'm just enjoying the ride, learn as much as I can and live life for life itself Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Icequeenz
Member


Female Number of posts : 4
Age : 37
Location : Indonesia
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:00 pm

Dalinian wrote:
Icequeenz wrote:
Cheers to Manos Cheer

I think the true meaning of life will only be known when life itself is over. How can one find true and solid meaning of an ongoing process?

**i have found out that the whole purpose to why we are here is to live, experience, and magnify God's glory in ourselves. Every word, or deed should be in His name. As I stand breathing, alive and healthy I thank God for the gift of life. For He has the whole world in His hands, our King so holy.

One might just guess the purpose, goal or end destination as we all do now without any end. The destination will also change depending on our choices and desires, free will is the best gift that each human have. I believe that we are all here for a reason but that reason is in our hands to create. Ask not why but ask what can we do so if even 'we' happened just by chance, at least we've done something useful with our life.

**I can say with great joy, that THE GREATEST gift God has given us is His Son. Yet when you say that the greatest gift would be free will, i disagree with you to the extreme. Not only because its not the greatest gift, but because that is what got us to become who we are now...rebels against God. Relating to Adam and Eve who were deceived, it is STILL happening to us today. Believing in EVILution and creating idols and a god to fit our lives. No matter who, if the person believes in a god other than the true God, its because it makes them comfortable inside. Their god is okay with the way they live their life...FOR ITS JUST A FIGMENT OF THEIR IMAGINATION! Well, we were warned already, now its our 'free will' that lets us walk into the lake of fire.

And for me it doesn't matter who's our creator.. can anyone meet 'Him/Her' in their lifetime anyway to ask why, how, etc? Even if they do how can they be sure it's not just an illusion or a manipulation? Religions only gives us guidelines to be a good human being and for the record, I do believe in God Wink . I just can't and won't try to explain Him / Her coz I never know / meet Him/Her myself. This part is strictly for faith to me.


**indeed almost all religions give guidelines to be a 'good' person. But as it has been said, there is not ONE that does good, NO NOT ONE. Very true. Maybe one person compared to hitler would be considered a good person, but I tell you that they are not morally excellent. They are just like EVERYONE ELSE. Then again, its not all 'religions'.

Yet what if you come to the end of your life and you see that the outcome is negative. Something that you could of avoided your whole life but decided to make a belief of your own? That the truth was indeed out there for your to take, but didnt take it. Now the outcome is a dreadful place for a VERY long time. Now dont tell me that you wouldnt care.

In the mean time I'm just enjoying the ride, learn as much as I can and live life for life itself Very Happy



"Ask not why but ask what can we do so if even 'we' happened just by chance, at least we've done something useful with our life"

I think this quote of my post answers the 'dreadful' part of afterlife for me. In this modern day there's nothing useful by being a bad person or doing bad things, the world has become more aware of righteousness, awaken of compassion and united with each passing day. Surely if one try his/her best to be a good person in life there's nothing dreadful in facing the final judgement. Realizing that no one is free from mistakes I can only try my best to do good but not perfect.

And each of us is made a unique human being by God not clones made to be uniformed and alike. Who can really say which God is the most true? All God teaches good as far I know, but it's the lack of understanding by the followers that often resulted to the wrong actions. So regarding the meaning of life and God's greatest gift, I choose no contest. That's a personal choice of believe and I respect Catholic and Christian believe since my Mom is also a devoted Catholic. I'm myself a freethinker and a Buddhist. Just simply a different point of view but I believe same noble goals.

Cheers! Wink
Back to top Go down
The Irish Lands
Member


Male Number of posts : 5
Age : 25
Location : Czech Republic, Europe,
Job/hobbies : student
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:16 am

As we are all different and unique, what if there is no general meaning of life?I think that if there was a general meaning of life for all, then we would be all the same. Since we are all unique, we might have our own meaning of life.And we can find it in ourselves and in our talents. I think that everybody has at least one talent (though he might not know about that) and that using that talent in the most useful way may be the meaning of one's life. 
Back to top Go down
Dalinian
Moderator
avatar

Male Number of posts : 69
Age : 27
Location : SLC, Utah
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:36 am

The Irish Lands wrote:
As we are all different and unique, what if there is no general meaning of life?I think that if there was a general meaning of life for all, then we would be all the same. Since we are all unique, we might have our own meaning of life.And we can find it in ourselves and in our talents. I think that everybody has at least one talent (though he might not know about that) and that using that talent in the most useful way may be the meaning of one's life.

**thats not true. there can be one single 'meaning' to life, one reason to why we are here, and you can live a 'unique' life in order to fulfill that 'meaning'. Of course we see that everyones different, and to me that explains what unique creatures we are. We all do different things, choose, and think differently. So, each and every one of is a 'unique' tool serving that 'meaning', that ONE meaning. Then again, we can not choose our own 'meaning' in life, for we did not give ourselves life. We are here for a reason, His reason, for He gave us life, for He created us in such special ways. Though a 'talent' CAN be something that one is gifted with and should use to serve ones meaning of life.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: What if there is really an explanation?   

Back to top Go down
 
What if there is really an explanation?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» 17th June 2010: Online Event - Explanation of Adab Al Mufrab by Sh. Salim al Amry
» P10.6-B NAIA expressway up for bidding
» Demon Vision or Dream?
» Eligibility Check and Opening Of Bids
» Oil and gas Committee in the Iraqi Parliament: licensing issue a lot of mystery enveloped and there is no adequate explanation from the Ministry

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Philosophical Perfection Forum :: General Forum :: Philosophy and Wisdom-
Jump to: